Sunday, May 9, 2010

Joy

I have been doing a devotion called A Young Woman's Walk With God...Growing More Like Jesus. Elizabeth George is the author and I absolutely love her books and devotionals. This devotion has been talking about the fruits of the spirit. I have heard about them all of my life but had never studied them in depth til now.
I have been studying joy. God is our primary source of joy. Joy is not based on circumstances but it is based on our relationship with Christ. God is always with us if he lives in our heart. Therefore, we should always be joyful. I know being joyful is not always easy though. As humans we often base our joy on our circumstances. If we have a bad day then we are in a bad mood. If something goes wrong we get mad. If a bad situation takes place we go into depression. We are humans and that's how we react. Yet, as Christians, no matter what life is throwing at us we should ALWAYS be joyful and offer sacrifices of praise to God for his goodness.
I read Acts 16:22-25 where Paul was thrown in jail. Even though he was in jail Paul was still praising God. I am guilty of maximizing my problems and thinking life is just horrible. But what can be worse than being thrown in jail. Even on my baddest days I don't praise God. Yet, Paul was praising him in jail.
This was a reminder to me that my joy through Christ is not based on how my day went. But it is forever and always. I should always be joyful no matter what I am facing. I need to be more like Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
This blog was created so I would have a place to share my thoughts. They may not be interesting to anyone but me.I am a senior at the University of Alabama majoring in Health Care Management. I will graduate in August of this year. I am enjoying my last months in college. However, I am excited to see what God has in store for me in the "real world."